The collection provides an overview of the San Francisco Jewish Community Center's activities between 1930, its incorporation, and circa 1979. Files on the building campaign in the early 1930s, recreation, social, and educational programs, institutional finances, board matters, and general administration comprise the bulk of the collection. In addition, there are materials from the Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA), from which the SFJCC evolved, and from United Jewish Community Centers, the coordinating body of the Marin, San Francisco, and Peninsula Jewish Community Centers that was formed in 1960.
The YMHA materials consist of financial materials, scrapbooks, some administrative/program files, and photographs dating from 1906 up through the founding of the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco in the early 1930s. There are a number of files in the collection that document the transition between the YMHA and the JCC in the late 1920s and the early 1930s.
Among the post-1933 JCC records are administrative files, financial documents, program files, membership lists and files, photographs, and scrapbooks. The program files offer a particularly intersesting look at the organization's activities in the local Jewish community.
The photographs in the collection include photos of YMHA activities in the years between 1906 and the late 1920s and photos of the YMHA building on Haight Street. JCC photographs in the collection include photos of the construction of the JCC building in 1932-33 and photos of JCC activities (particularly in the area of physical eduction). There are photographs of early YMHA Passover Seders (1919-1923) and JCC activities with the armed services as well.
The scrapbooks in the collection consist primarily of newspaper clippings and date from 1923 to 1949.
View collection guide.