The Chico Army Airfield or Chico Army Flying School was located 5 miles north of Chico, Butte County, California during World War II. The city of Chico was approved as the site for the Army Air Corps Base on August 26, 1941. Construction began in January 1942 and the first cadre of troops arrived in April. The base opened April 15, 1942 and was officially named the Chico Army Flying School. After undergoing a ten week basic flight training course, cadets went to flying schools like Chico for additional flight training, and until it was closed in December 31, 1945 over 5,000 cadets and officers were instructed in basic and advance flight training here.. Among ther items in this collection are copies of issues of "The Beam" each representing a training classes. A weekly magazine "The Flyer" was published by the Chico Record until the base established it's own print shop and continued the paper under the same name. Additional materials from the Chico Army Air Field Collection MSS 141 are available as well as secondary research material.
View this collection on the contributor's website. View collection guide.