Skip to main content

San Diego Public Library - A Pictorial History

Owning Institution: San Diego Public Library

About this Collection

What became known as the San Diego Public Library had its beginnings in 1882 on the second floor of the Consolidated Bank Building at Fifth and G Streets in downtown San Diego. The first published catalog, compiled by Lulu Younkin in 1889, listed 7,800 volumes. In the decades since, the San Diego Public Library has grown into a robust stystem comprising thirty-five branches and the central library. Today our collections include more than 3.8 million items, including books, audio-visual materials, and the latest downloadable ebooks. We serve a population of more than 1.3 million residents over a geographic area of 342 square miles (reaching as far north as Rancho Bernardo and as far south as San Ysidro). View this collection on the contributor's website.

View our statement on digital primary resources and historical description.

Type of Item

743 items found in this collection

of 31
of 31