Skip to main content

Camp Sunkist - Times-Advocate Photograph Collection

About this Collection

Camp Sunkist was built in 1942 by the Escondido Lemon Association to house migrant workers. It contained 42 one-room bungalows once located where the Escondido Transit Center now resides. The photographs were taken in April and May of 1987 by Manuel Ceniceros, a photographer for the Times-Advocate newspaper. Many of the photos in this exhibit were featured in articles published by the newspaper.

Camp Sunkist was demolished in May 1988 to make way for the Escondido Transit Center located at 700 W Valley Pkwy. Escondido, CA 92025.

Due to U.S. Copyright Restrictions, images in this collection have watermarks. Please contact the Pioneer Room at 760-839-4315 or pioneer.room@escondidolibrary.org to obtain images without watermarks for personal use only.

---

For more information, check out DigitalReel, a digital archive of the Times-Advocate available on all Escondido Public Library and Pioneer Room computers.

View our statement on digital primary resources and historical description.