Mount Zion Hospital was established in 1887 by the San Francisco Jewish community as a non-profit hospital. During the flu epidemic of 1918, the hospital treated 100-plus patients a day, and in the 1940s, it provided care to thousands of Jewish refugees. In 1976, the hospital opened the first alternative birth center in San Francisco, and 10 years later opened the city’s first hospital-based comprehensive women’s health center. Mount Zion Hospital began its association with the University of California in the late 1920s, when its medical services expanded significantly and it became a teaching hospital affiliated with UC Medical School (later named UCSF School of Medicine). UCSF acquired the hospital in 1990 and developed the facility over the next few years into a second major clinical site, with an emphasis on outpatient care, under the name UCSF Medical Center at Mount Zion. The UCSF Mount Zion campus serves as an innovative hub of specialized outpatient clinics, surgery, services and comprehensive cancer care.