Title supplied by cataloger. The $24,000,000 building, designed to last approximately 250 years, is an imposing two-block-long structure. U.S. Chief Justice Warren broke ground for the building on March 26, 1954, and was again on hand October 31, 1958 when the edifice was dedicated. Italian marble covers most of the walls and the 850,000 square feet of floor space, along with more than 50,000 cubic yards of concrete. The structure is actually two buildings, with a 6-inch space between the east side, which will be used by the superior courts, and the west side, which will be devoted to the municipal courts. The building is six stories high, but the municipal court side, with its foundations at a higher level, rises three stories above the more massive superior court end. The structure was designed by a corporation of associate architects: J.E. Stanton, Paul Williams, Adrian Wilson and Austin, Field & Fry. The County Courthouse officially began functioning at 9:00 am January 5, 1959. The bas-relief over the Hill Street entrance of the Los Angeles County Courthouse (later renamed the Stanley Mosk Courthouse) depicting Justice by California artist Donal Hord. Dated January 4, 1958.
1 slide :color ;5 x 5 cm. Photographic color slides
California.--Superior Court (Los Angeles County) Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1958-) Bas-relief--California--Los Angeles Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Hill Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Slides Hord, Donal,1902-1966 Stanton, J. E Wilson, Adrian Williams, Paul R.,1894-1980 Austin, Field & Fry