Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Made of cast concrete, the amphitheater was designed to resemble the ancient architecture of the Holy Land for the purposes of the play performed there. The previous amphitheater on the site was built in 1920, but a brush fire in October 1929 destroyed that wooden structure. The religious-themed Pilgrimage Play, written by Christine Whetherill Stevenson, was performed every summer between 1920 to 1941. During WWII the theater was deeded to Los Angeles County and converted into dormitories for servicemen. After the war, the play resumed until 1964, at which time it was legally ordered to close due to its religious content. In the early 1970s, the amphitheater was renamed after John Anson Ford, in honor of his dedicated and successful campaign to revive the facility. A man near the entrance to the newly reconstructed Pilgrimage Theatre, located at 2580 Cahuenga Boulevard East.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00071696 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Hollywood-Theaters-John Anson Ford Amphitheatre; N-003-387.17 4x5 CARL0000075084 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/113932
Pilgrimage Theatre (Hollywood, Los Angeles, Calif.) Theaters--California--Hollywood (Los Angeles) Amphitheaters--California--Hollywood (Los Angeles) Men--California--Los Angeles Mountains--California, Southern Hollywood Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) Santa Monica Mountains (Calif.) Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.)