Davis, Francis Pierpont (architect) Davis, Walter Swindell, 1887- (architect) Olmsted Associates (architect) Shattuch Construction Co. (builder) Lawyer, Jay (builder) Lewis, Edward Gardner (builder) Chaney, Charles H. (builder) Lawyer, Donald K. (builder)
Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District, from the Palos Verdes Homes Association Photograph Collection held in the Local History Room. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Image shows interior view of living room at La Venta Inn, located at 796 Via del Monte on lots 4, 5, and 6, block 1536. Visible is a sofa in front of a long carved wooded table flanked by two wooden end tables with flower arrangements made from the more than 80 varieties grown on the property. A pair of trompe-l'oeil paintings are visible on back wall, flanking the doorway to the dining room, above which a model of a square-rigged sailing ship rests on a bracket shelf. In foreground a geometric carpet is in front of the sofa, covering hardwood floors, and a wrought-iron chandelier is partially visible hanging from the ceiling. The Inn, originally built as a club house (named "Clubhouse 764") to entertain realtors and prospective land owners, opened in the summer of 1923 and was the first permanent building constructed by the Palos Verdes Project. The name was soon changed to La Venta (meaning "The Sale" in Spanish) and the inn served as a sales office and architectural prototype for the peninsula. During the 1930s it became a weekend retreat for notable celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh, Erroll Flynn, Betty Grable, Bob Hope, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, and Gloria Swanson. Briefly in 1942 the Inn became the central observation post of the coastal artillery. From 1944 to 1954 the property was the residence of Commander and Mrs. Stanley Schnetzler, and was re-established as an inn in 1955. On November 11, 1978, La Venta Inn became the first structure designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1992 the New York Food Company took over management of the property. Date Built: 1923 Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association PVH building permit #4.
1 photographic print (b/w); 7.5 x 9.5 in.
La Venta Inn (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) Historic buildings--California--Palos Verdes Estates Hotels--California, Southern Interiors Living rooms