For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
“Girls’ Boarding School, about 1950. (later taken over by boys – girls moving to the larger boys boarding buildings)” Exterior view of boarder accommodation with girls standing in lines with arms raised. Margaret Bowman was principle of the girls' boarding school, assisted by Phyllis Zakayo, when the dormitories were built in 1950. In1952 the dormitories were switched due to an increase in the number of girl boarders and boys tending towards becoming day pupils. ❧ The image is from the collection of Dr Archibald Clive Irvine (1893-1974) showing the period from 1947-1961 at the Chogoria mission which was established near Mt Kenya, in 1922, and run by Dr Irvine.