Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. Interior view of the Audio-Visual Department of Los Angeles Public Library. Three patrons are pictured listening to vinyl records being played by record players situated on the long wooden table. These records consist of popular and classical music, foreign language, and literary classics. Also available for patrons are audiocassettes and clippings among other audio-visual materials.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00084698 Security Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Libraries-LAPL-Central Library-Departments-Audio-Visual.; A-002-052 4x5; C-5(322) 4x5 CARL0004759850 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112820
Los Angeles Public Library Los Angeles Public Library.--Audio-Visual Dept Libraries--Special collections--Audio-visual materials Audio-visual materials--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Library users--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carleton M.,1919-