Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
The Old Mill Market at 332 Throckmorton Avenue. William and Minna Thran purchased the store at 332 Throckmorton Avenue on May 24, 1949. They remodeled the store about 1952 and covered up the Hikers' Map on the side of the building with shingles. The map had been painted by a former proprieter who had tired of answering directional questions about local trails. The photo features a young woman, possibly the Thrans' daughter Erna Joan, standing to the side of the map. The child sitting at the corner of the building may be the Thrans' son, Robert, also known as "Pinky". This is the same image as 2017.158.001. The figure on the sidewalk next to the side entrance of Old Mill Market (middle left of photo) is a "crossing guard" that was brought out to caution drivers when Old Mill School was in session.
Early Mill Valley Businesses Markets Stores & shops Throckmorton Avenue