Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The Metropolitan Building, located on 6th and Hill streets, was built in 1913 by architects John Parkinson and G. Edwin Bergstrom, and was demolished in the late 1960s. Other locations where the Los Angeles Public Library has been housed: 17 years in the Downey Block Building (1872-1889); 17 years in City Hall (1889-1906); 2 years in the Homer Laughlin Building (1906-1908); 6 years in the Hamburger Building (1908-1914); 12 years in the Metropolitan Building (1914-1926); 60 years in the Central Library Building* (1926-1986); *Closed to the public due to devastating fire (1986-1987); 6 years in the Los Angeles Design Center/Title Insurance + Trust Company (1987-1993); Central Library Building (1993-Present). View 3 of the Library's Fiction Department located in the Metropolitan Building. It shows a small information desk at the forefront, card catalog drawers behind it, and shelving on the right and back corner. This was the library's 5th home, from 1914-1926. Photograph dated: June 16, 1926.
1 photographic print :b&w ;14 x 24 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00078945 Los Angeles Public Library Institutional Collection LAPL_IPC_b001_f7; A-002-690.3 4x5 CARL0000080217 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/111564
Los Angeles Public Library Metropolitan Building (Los Angeles, Calif.) Library shelving--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Parkinson, John,1861-1935 Bergstrom, G. E.(George Edwin),1876-1955