Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District from the Palos Verdes Library Local History Room Photo Collection. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Color postcard image shows view of Wayfarers' Chapel. Narcissa Cox Vanderlip contributed the 3 1/2-acre site for the chapel, for which the cornerstone was dedicated on July 16, 1949. Lloyd Wright, son of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright, was hired to design the chapel which opened in 1951. Postcard printed on reverse with "The Wayfarers' Chapel, at Abalone Cove, near Portuguese Bend, in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. Designed by Lloyd Wright and built almost entirely of glass, as a national memorial to Emanuel Swedenborg, upon whose teachings the Church was established. Tip of Santa Catalina Island appears on horizon at far left." Also printed with "'Plastichrome' by Colourpicture, Boston 15, Mass, U.S.A.," "Distributed by 'Golden West' 2583 Maine Ave., L.B. 6 Calif.," "GW2180" and "Color Photo by Geo. E. Watson." Date Built: 1951 Library has digital image only, courtesy of postcard collector Muriel Lafferty.