Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
P.E. Car & Lucky Baldwin at Myrtle & Olive. The Pacific Electric Car opened in 1903, taking Monrovians to and from Los Angeles and opening up new employment. "In the summer of 1905 the Pacific Electric Railway established Orange Grove route excursions in what they styled 'The Poppy Car.' This car would remain an hour or more at each station, permitting the excursionists time in which to inspect the city and surrounding neighborhood. When the 'Poppy Car' stopped at Monrovia, automobile buses and private cars were waiting to take the passengers around the city and into the valley. So popular did this car become that Monrovia handled a thousand People a week during a part of the time, and many of the 'Poppy Car' excursionists are now Monrovians. The Board of Trade, the progenitor of the Chamber of Commerce, appropriated one hundred fifty dollars per month for the entertainment of the 'Poppy' guests." John L. Wiley, History of Monrovia, 1927, p 96-97.