Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Architect Alleck Curlett designed the eleven-story 1923 Fifth Street Store (the original name of Millirons) located at 501 South Broadway on the southwest corner of Broadway and 5th. This building replaced a 1905 store for the same business. In 1953 Welton Beckett & Associates modernized the store for Ohrbachs.; The architectural firm of Morgan, Walls and Morgan designed the 1912 Romanesque style Jewelry Trades Building, located at 220 West Fifth Street on the southeast corner of Broadway and 5th. The eight-story structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributor to the Broadway Theater and Commercial District in 1979.; The architectural firm of Curlett & Beelman designed the 1926 Chester Williams Building, located at 215 West Fifth Street on the northeast corner of Broadway and 5th. The twelve-story building featuring rounded windows and a terra cotta facade was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributor to the Broadway Theater and Commercial District in 1979. During President Roosevelt's visit in Los Angeles on July 16, 1938. He arrived at Central Station in the morning by train, then proceeded by car west on fourth street to Broadway, then south on Broadway to Washington winding his way all the way to San Diego where he left by ship in the evening. In this view of the motorcade Broadway looking north at Fifth Street, most of the street has been blocked off and only one line of black cars drive down south while American and California flags have been hung across the street. The police department closed the street and rerouted regular traffic that day. Buildings visible include the Jewelry Trades Building (far right), Chester Williams Building (right), and the Fifth Street Store (formerly Walker's, left). Although these tree buildings are still standing, other buildings on the block have been replaced.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm. Photographic prints
00099936 Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; N-009-134 8x10 CARL0005106865 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/39335
Roosevelt, Franklin D.--(Franklin Delano),--1882-1945--Travel Milliron's (Department store) Jewelry Trades Building (Los Angeles, Calif.) Chester Williams Building (Los Angeles, Calif.) Visits of state--United States Motorcades--California--Los Angeles Department stores--California--Los Angeles Office buildings--California--Los Angeles Stores & shops--California--Los Angeles Crowds--California--Los Angeles Flags--California--Los Angeles Banners--California--Los Angeles Automobiles--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Lost architecture--California--Los Angeles Broadway (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Schultheis Collection photographs Curlett & Beelman Morgan, Walls and Morgan