This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Calico was founded in 1881 as a silver mining town and at its height, had over 500 mines and a population of over 3,500 people. In 1890, with the passing of the Sherman Silver Purchase Act, the price of silver dropped from well over a dollar to half. As a result, Calico was abandoned by the miners and became a ghost town. Walter Knott purchased the town in 1951 and began rebuilding Calico to its original state. Later, in 1966, Knott donated the town to San Bernardino County and is now known as Calico Ghost Town Regional Park. The town of Calico is also listed as California Historical Landmark #782. Photograph dated May 10, 1962 shows a monument given by Walter Knott in dedication to the miners of Calico. The inscription partially reads, "Walter Knott is dedicating Calico Ghost Town to the memory of the heroic silver miners who lived and toiled here. The preservation of this singular California heritage is also dedicated to you, the visitor, as a constant source of learning and enjoyment."
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00131819 ValleyÂ Times Collection HCNVT_d037_f6_i19 CARL0005544667 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/62209
Ghost towns--California--Calico Monuments--California--Calico Buildings--California--Calico California Historical Landmarks Mountains--California, Southern Calico Ghost Town Regional Park (San Bernardino County, Calif.) Calico (Calif.) Valley Times Collection photographs