This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The structure at 11043 Magnolia Boulevard in North Hollywood was constructed circa 1926 and originally served at a Boys Scouts of America Hall. It operated briefly operated as the Turf Club in 1937-38, and in 1939 was converted into a theater for live performance and named the Little Theatre of North Hollywood. In 1942, the name was changed to the North Hollywood Playhouse, and hosted live performances for the next four decades. Between 1950-1955, the playhouse was also operated as the Candlelight Theatre and the Resident Playhouse. The building was demolished in 1983. Photograph caption dated October 15, 1959 reads, Dance Troup Appears in 'Cat' Play -- Members of Troyettes dance troupe strike meaningful pose in "For Cat's Sake," play ending four-week run with performances at 8:30 p.m. tomorrow and Saturday at North Hollywood Playhouse. Presented by Toluca Lake Little Theater group, production is under direction of Jack Jamieson. Troyettes, from left, are Laurel Smith, Diana Askew, Sue Linkert, Mary Boriso and Karen Turcott. Tickets are still available."
1 photographic print :b&w ; 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00085328 Valley Times Collection HCNVT_d004_f10_i5 CARL0004772520 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/43029
North Hollywood Playhouse (Los Angeles, Calif.) Community theater--California--San Fernando Valley Amateur theater--California--San Fernando Valley Dancers--California--Los Angeles North Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.) Valley Times Collection photographs