Pasadena Museum of History makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Museum. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and / or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. For more information please see: http://pasadenahistory.org/research-and-collections/using-the-research-library-archives/
First AME Church was moved from 565 N. Fair Oaks Avenue to the corner of Vernon Avenue (now St. John Avenue) and Kensington Street in 1910. There was opposition from some in the white community to the presence of the church in this neighborhood and during its construction, there was an arson attempt to destroy the building. Vernon Avenue was demolished as a result of the construction of the 210 freeway and in 1968 the church moved to its current location at 1700 N. Raymond Avenue.
Church buildings--California--Pasadena St. John Avenue (Pasadena, Calif.) Automobiles--California--Pasadena Landscape architecture--California--Pasadena Streets--California--Pasadena First African Methodist Episcopal Church (Pasadena, Calif. : 1910-1968)