Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. View 80: Photograph shows the construction of the Los Angeles Public Library, located at 630 W. Fifth Street; view is looking at the west side of the building. The structure appears to be complete, but still has scaffolding along the west entrance and surrounding the tower above. A low-tiered wall is visible along the left, and a large dirt area on the right shows construction debris. Photograph dated: March 2, 1926.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 14 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Public Library Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Building construction--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Building sites--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Scaffolding Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carleton M.,1919- Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)