For more information on copyright or permissions for this image, please contact San Jose State University Special Collections & Archives department. http://www.sjlibrary.org/research/special/special_coll/index.htm
Photograph shows two men lifting the Tower Bell. The bell was commissioned for the California Normal School in 1862. The bell is currently located by the Spartan Rose Garden between the computer center and Tower Hall. A plaque by the bell states, "Cast to commemorate the California State Normal School in 1881, this 3,000 pound bell was rung at 8 a.m. each morning until the earthquake stilled its voice in 1906. In 1910 the bell was reinstalled in the main building of the newly constructed Tower Hall where it was rung on special occasions. In the early 1960's seismic concerns led to its retirement and relocation to ground level".