Skip to main content

Image / Postcard view of Graton in 1909 taken looking northwest from the Bowers ...

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Postcard view of Graton in 1909 taken looking northwest from the Bowers Ranch near Oak Grove School- taken from the Gustafson's tank on the hill
Date Created and/or Issued
1909
Contributing Institution
Sonoma County Library
Collection
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Collection
Rights Information
Neither the Western Sonoma County Historical Society nor the Sonoma County Library make any assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Western Sonoma County Historical Society. Please contact the Society regarding additional reproduction and reuse information at: https://wschs.org/contact-us
Description
Photo postcard--black and white: Postcard view of Graton in 1909 taken looking northwest from the Bowers Ranch near Oak Grove School- taken from the Gustafson's tank on the hill. On verso, message on postcart sent to Donna Gamsby Janes from her sister Jessie Gamsby Robertson, wife of John Robertson, first postmaster of Graton. On front of card "Gamsby" refers to her son John Gambsy Robertson. Note the little cross marks on the photo to show her house at the corner of Edison anbd Donald Streets, the "auto house" (garage) behind it, and the store John Robertson built downtown. Many of the houses in this photo are still standing, including the first house built in Graton. That house, at the northeast corner of Brush and Donald Streets, was actually moved there from Bennett Valley in Santa Rosa. Santa Rose was split into north and south sides by Santa Rosa Creek. The north side had more money and people, and it was decided to locate the courthouse there. Soon families and merchants from the south side relocated to the north, abandoning many buildings. Alfred Neep sawed one of the abandoned homes in half and hauled it with horses to Graton, where he put it back together again.
Type
Image
Format
Still image
Identifier
065f93ba-eabb-4ec1-b54d-dd85c8b86d59
https://digital.sonomalibrary.org/documents/detail/252893
https://images.quartexcollections.com/sonomalibrary/thumbnails/preview/065f93ba-eabb-4ec1-b54d-dd85c8b86d59
cdm/ref/collection/p15763coll11/id/8004
Language
English

Explore related content on Calisphere: