Skip to main content

Image / Farm house owned by Mr. William J. Downie in Hessel, California

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Farm house owned by Mr. William J. Downie in Hessel, California
Date Created and/or Issued
1890
Contributing Institution
Sonoma County Library
Collection
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Collection
Rights Information
Neither the Western Sonoma County Historical Society nor the Sonoma County Library make any assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Western Sonoma County Historical Society. Please contact the Society regarding additional reproduction and reuse information at: https://wschs.org/contact-us
Description
Photo--black and white, matted: Farm house owned by Mr. William J. Downie in Hessel. Mr. Downie, Mrs. Downie and a neighbor at the front of the house tending a garden. Water tower, windmill and barn seen at the right background. The property was sold in the 1950s and burned down in the late 1950s. Background: William Downie (1820-1893) was a Scottish prospector and explorer involved in the gold rushes in California and British Columbia of the mid-19th Century. In gold rush-era California, Downie led an expedition up the North Fork of the Yuba River. Major Downie's travels are documented in his 1893 autobiography, "Hunting for Gold" Downie was the first mayor of Downieville, California, in 1849, until which time it had been named "The Forks." The house burned down in the 1950s.
Type
Image
Format
Still image
Identifier
215789ad-a094-46e7-aa90-617085c65427
https://digital.sonomalibrary.org/documents/detail/47363
https://images.quartexcollections.com/sonomalibrary/thumbnails/preview/215789ad-a094-46e7-aa90-617085c65427
cdm/ref/collection/p15763coll11/id/2659

Explore related content on Calisphere: