Title supplied by cataloger. The Grand Central Airport, also know as the Glendale Airport, was an important element in the development of aviation in United States. It opened in 1922 and was the Los Angeles area's first commercial airport and the departure site for the nation's first regularly scheduled coast to coast flight, piloted by Charles Lindbergh. The airport was closed in 1959 and was purchased in 1997 by The Walt Disney Company. The single concrete 3,800-foot (1,200 m) runway was dug up and converted into Grand Central Avenue. In 2013, the city of Glendale approved Disney's renovation of the terminal, to be completed by the end of 2015. The Walt Disney Company has agreed to nominate the building to the National Register of Historic Places.; The Curtiss-Wright Technical Institute of Aeronautics was a professional trade school operated by the Curtiss-Wright corporation for aircraft maintenance training. Photograph caption dated April 14, 1944 reads "Clouds of smoke soar into the sky, in the background, from the central hangar at the Grand Central Airport, which was rocked by an explosion and fire today." The fire can be seen beyond several buildings. A large signboard to the right reads "Curtiss-Wright Technical Institute of Aeronautics." Several cars are parked on the street and power and telephone lines are prominent in the photo. People can be seen on the roof of a building in the distance. It was located at 1310 Air Way, Glendale.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Curtiss-Wright Corporation Grand Central Air Terminal (Glendale, Calif.) Smoke plumes--California--Glendale Signs and signboards--California--Glendale Automobiles--California--Glendale Streets--California--Glendale Electric lines--Poles and towers Telephone lines--California--Glendale Roofs--California--Glendale Glendale (Calif.) Los Angeles Evening Herald and Express photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs