Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Exposition Park, originally named Agricultural Park, was developed in 1876 as a showground for agricultural and horticultural fairs. In the 1890s USC law professor William M. Bowen and USC President George Finley Bovard garnered the commitments of city, state, and county to develop the land as a public educational, cultural and recreational center to be designed by architects Hudson and Munsell. Architects John and Donald B. Parkinson designed the 1923 Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, located at 3911 S. Figueroa Street, as well as the expansion for the 1932 Olympic Games. In 1984, the Coliseum became the first stadium in the world to host the Olympic games twice. The stadium is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is California Historic Landmark #960 A white painted brick cube near the vehicle gates says, "Los Angeles Coliseum 3690 Menlo." This portion of Menlo is now called Bill Robertson Lane. The stadium is visible in the background.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm. Photographic prints
00098187 Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; N-007-627 8x10 CARL0005080428 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/37831
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (Los Angeles, Calif.) Stadiums--California--Los Angeles Sports facilities--California--Los Angeles Gates--California--Los Angeles Parks--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Meno Avenue (Los Angeles, Calif.) University Park (Los Angeles, Calif.) Schultheis Collection photographs Parkinson & Parkinson