Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Burbank's original city hall, built in 1916 on the southwest corner of Olive and 3rd St., once housed the Burbank Fire Department and was later home to a number of police department offices after the newer city hall opened across Olive in 1943. The old building was razed in late 1959 to make way for a new City Hall Annex, part of the city's 10 Year Capital Improvement Program, according to the Los Angeles Times. Construction for the new Annex began on January 11, 1960. The new Annex opened February 24, 1961 and housed the Burbank Police Department, the city jail, and the city's civil defense headquarters. A tunnel was dug below 3rd St., linking the Annex with the County Courts building and was used to transport prisoners for court appearances. A fortified basement was built to withstand a "zero-zone bomb blast" and a deep well was dug beneath the building to provide independent water "in case of attack." In this photo, cars and trucks drive through construction traffic on Olive Ave. "New Police Building Construction Late 50's"--back of photo.
nonprojected graphic 3 1/2 x 4 3/4 b&w print
islandora:1092 local: cco00875
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)--Police stations--Streets--Automobiles--Building--Construction equipment--1960s--Trucks--Concrete mixers--Cranes, derricks, etc.--Police departments--Fire departments--City halls--Civil defense--Jails