Skip to main content

Image / Santa Monica Public Library

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Santa Monica Public Library
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1937]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the min-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
After raising $3982.50, the City of Santa Monica contacted Andrew Carnegie for additional funding to build a Main library at Oregon Avenue (later Santa Monica Boulevard) and Fifth Street; the library opened in 1904. 22 years later, a bond issue for $50,000 was passed for the reconstruction and expansion of the Carnegie-funded structure. The 1904 library was given two additional wings and remodeled into the Spanish-style structure seen here by Edward J. Baume. The remodeled library opened to the public on November 18, 1927. This structure was demolished in 1974 after a new Main library, located at 1343 Sixth Street, opened to the public in September, 1965. Two more structures would serve as the Main library before the current Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) structure, located at 601 Santa Monica Boulevard, opened to the public in January, 2006.
Looking across the street towards the Santa Monica Public Library, located at Santa Monica Boulevard and 5th Street.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00028750
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-005-820 8x10
CARL0005153392
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/35583
Subject
Santa Monica Public Library
Public libraries--California--Santa Monica
Library buildings--California--Santa Monica
Streets--California--Santa Monica
Street-railroad tracks--California--Santa Monica
Carnegie libraries--California--Santa Monica
Architecture--California--Santa Monica--Spanish influences
Lost architecture--California--Santa Monica
Santa Monica Boulevard (Santa Monica, Calif.)
Santa Monica (Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs
Baume, Edward J

Explore related content on Calisphere: