Title supplied by cataloger. The Pacific Mutual Building, located at 523 W. 6th Street, is actually three interconnected buildings built between 1908 and 1929. The original structure was designed and built between 1908-1912 by John Parkinson and Edwin Bergstrom. Since then, it has undergone many changes: the North Side addition was built in 1916 by William J. Dodd; a twelve-story structure was built in 1921 by William J. Dodd and his associate William Richards; the Garage Building was added in 1926 by Schultze and Weaver; and the West Side addition, designed by Parkinson and Parkinson, was erected in 1929 by Scofield-Twaits Company. It underwent Moderne remodeling in 1936 by Parkinson and Parkinson; and in 1974, the building underwent an extensive restoration by Wendell Mounce and Associates, with Bond and Steward, which brought back its original Beaux Arts revival style; finally, the entire building was renovated again by the Westgroup, Inc. in 1985. The Pacific Mutual Building is Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #398. Construction of the Pacific Mutual Building West Side addition. Photograph dated May 3, 1929.
1 photographic print :b&w ;22 x 26 cm. on sheet 22 x 28 cm. Photographic prints
Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Building (Los Angeles, Calif.) Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company Building construction--California--Los Angeles Construction workers--California--Los Angeles Scaffolding Construction equipment--California--Los Angeles Office buildings--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Eclecticism in architecture--California--Los Angeles Parkinson, John,1861-1935 Parkinson, Donald B.(Donald Berthold),1895-1945 Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Schultze & Weaver Scofield-Twaits Company