Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. View of the Audio-Visual Department, as seen from the entrance. Numerous file cabinets in neat rows can be seen along the right of the department as well as next to the right wall. These cabinets hold "Clippings A-C" as well as the "Record Catalog". A patron stands at the "Films and Recordings" desk, located at the rear of the department, and several others sit at long wooden desks possibly perusing catalogs.
1 photographic print :b&w ;19 x 25 cm. on board 19 x 25 cm. Photographic prints
00084699 Security Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Libraries-LAPL-Central Library-Departments-Audio-Visual. CARL0004759849 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112819
Los Angeles Public Library Los Angeles Public Library.--Audio-Visual Dept Libraries--Special collections--Audio-visual materials Audio-visual materials--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Library users--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carleton M.,1919-