This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
The floral gardens at William Land Park were the recipients of loving care from dedicated park employees and volunteers who delivered the daily care often required. City Parks and Recreation employees included foremen for crews devoted to grass-cutting, tree removal and pesticides and an article published in 1950 refers to 300,000 beds of annual flowers in all city parks that had been changed over in June and again in November of the previous year. During the time this circa 1930 one-cent postal card was on sale the gardens had reached maturity and vines grew on arches and hung between rose poles surrounding the beds. During World War II the City of Sacramento poured time and resources into their parks since gasoline and automobile rationing kept residents closer to home and park use and attendance rose dramatically. New attractions like Fairytale Land vied with open lawn and flower beds for space but additions to the William Land Park Zoo proved the end of the large rose garden.