Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Exterior view of an Italian style building on the campus of Immaculate Heart College, located at 5515 Franklin Avenue in Hollywood.; In 1903 the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary purchased fifteen-acres in Hollywood on which to develop a school. Two years later on April 24, 1905 a ground-breaking took place for a Moorish/Mission Revival style building (see image 00074977), which included classrooms for high school and elementary school students, boarding facilities, as well as living quarters for the nuns. In 1906, when the school was officially founded, there were a total of 75 students and the curriculum included History, mathematics, Latin, physiology, Greek, French, Spanish, English, chemistry, physics, music, art, and drama. Ten years later, the Immaculate Heart College (IHC) was established. Its leaders in the 1950s and 60s included Dr. Anita Marie Caspary and renowned artist Corita Kent who led a much publicized rebellion against the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in 1969. The school was closed in 1981 due to financial difficulties. As of 2008, the former IHC campus is owned by the American Film Institute.
1 photographic print :b&w Photographic prints
00074976 Security Pacific National Bank Collection N-003-769 8x10; Hollywood-Schools-Immaculate Heart. CARL0000077101 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/115005
Immaculate Heart College (Los Angeles, Calif.) Universities and colleges--California--Los Angeles College buildings--California--Los Angeles Architecture--California--Hollywood (Los Angeles)--Italian influences Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.)