Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
View of San Bernardino Asistencia, which was was established in 1819, as a "sub-mission" to Mission San Gabriel Arca´ngel; the original Asistencia or more correctly - Estancia functioned as an outpost to graze cattle. During the 1840s its buildings were used by Jose´ del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. After its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by Bishop Tenney in the 1850s and by Dr. Benjamin Barton in the 1860s. In 1925, the County of San Bernardino acquired the Mission property; all remaining historic materials were salvaged and construction of a new, six-room structure commenced in 1926. The restoration was completed in 1937 with a freestanding campanario ("bell wall") constructed even though none had existed previously. The rebuilt Mission was unveiled to the general public as "The Asistencia". In 1960, San Bernardino Asistencia was dedicated as California Historical Landmark #42. Today the facility operates as a branch of the San Bernardino County Museum. Photo dated: May 20, 1939.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00065829 Works Progress Administration Collection WPA 2450 4x5 CARL0000071032 http://184.108.40.206/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/2127
San Bernardino Asistencia (Redlands, Calif.) Missions, Spanish--California--Redlands Museums--California--Redlands Redlands (Calif.) Works Progress Administration Collection photographs