Skip to main content

Image / Rancho Los Feliz adobe, early view

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Rancho Los Feliz adobe, early view
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
[ca. 1900]
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
Rancho Nuestra Sen~ora de Refugio de Los Feliz as it was called, was better known as Rancho Los Feliz. This 6,647-acre rancho was granted to Corporal Jose´ Vicente Feliz as early as 1795, one of the first land grants in California; it remained in Corporal Feliz' possession as late as 1816. When Corporal Feliz died his children inherited the rancho, and they built an old adobe house on the property sometime in the 1830s. But Rancho Los Feliz had a succession of owners: Don~a Mari´a Ygnacia Feliz (daughter-in-law of Corporal Feliz) inherited the rancho in 1843 when her husband died. In 1853, Don~a Maria divided the rancho among her own daughters; they inherited it in 1861, after their mother's death. Sadly, the daughters failed to improve the land and sold their portions for a mere $1.00 per acre. In 1860, Antonio Feliz, brother-in-law of Don~a Maria acquired the property which included the adobe near the river, and which he kept until his death in 1863. Later that same year, Don Antonio Franco Coronel came into the ownership of Rancho Los Feliz. At some point, Don Antonio deeded the rancho to James Lick, a wealthy businessman from San Francisco. In 1882, Colonel Griffith Jenkins Griffith acquired 4,071 acres of the rancho, and on December 16, 1896 Griffith donated 3,015 acres to the city of Los Angeles to be used as a park; other sections of the rancho were developed and became the communities of Los Feliz and Silver Lake. The old adobe, which still exists today, stands within the park boundaries at 4730 Crystal Springs Drive in Griffith Park.
Home of Anastasio Feliz, originally built in 1855 on Rancho Los Feliz, it was situated on the east side of the rancho near the river. The adobe was remodeled in 1925; in 1936 William H. Johnson, the superintendent of the golf courses, occupied it. The adobe is located at 4730 Crystal Springs Drive in Griffith Park and now serves as the Park Ranger Headquarters. It was designated L.A. Historic Cultural Monument #401.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. on board 21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00078977
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
L.A.-Adobes-Feliz.
CARL0000080032
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/111633
Subject
Adobe houses--California--Los Angeles
Dwellings--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
Feliz, Vicente Jose´
Feliz, Anastasio
Griffith Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Los Feliz (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: