Sonoma County Library > Western Sonoma County Historical Society Collection > Farm house owned by Mr. William J. Downie in Hessel, California

Image / Farm house owned by Mr. William J. Downie in Hessel, California

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Farm house owned by Mr. William J. Downie in Hessel, California
Contributor
Western Sonoma County Historical Society, 261 South Main St., Sebastopol, CA 95472 (http://www.sebastopol-farm-museum.org)
Date Created and/or Issued
1890
1894
2008-09-18
2009-02-12
early 1890s
Contributing Institution
Sonoma County Library
Collection
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Collection
Rights Information
Western Sonoma County Historical Society, 261 South Main St., Sebastopol, CA 95472 (http://www.sebastopol-farm-museum.org)
Neither the Western Sonoma County Historical Society nor the Sonoma County Library make any assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Western Sonoma County Historical Society. Please contact the Society regarding additional reproduction and reuse information at: http://www.sebastopol-farm-museum.org/contact-us
Description
Photo--black and white, matted: Farm house owned by Mr. William J. Downie in Hessel. Mr. Downie, Mrs. Downie and a neighbor at the front of the house tending a garden. Water tower, windmill and barn seen at the right background. The property was sold in the 1950s and burned down in the late 1950s. Background: William Downie (1820-1893) was a Scottish prospector and explorer involved in the gold rushes in California and British Columbia of the mid-19th Century. In gold rush-era California, Downie led an expedition up the North Fork of the Yuba River. Major Downie's travels are documented in his 1893 autobiography, "Hunting for Gold" Downie was the first mayor of Downieville, California, in 1849, until which time it had been named "The Forks." The house burned down in the 1950s.
GNIS
Approximate geocoding
13
Title supplied by cataloger
Original
Medium quality (200 dpi)
BlackIsZero
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
Windows
Evelyn McClure
Sally Morrison
Type
image
Format
1
Print, Photographic
black-and-white
8" x 10
Matted
image/jp2
2870272
image/tiff
8
200
Uncompressed
1911
1500
Identifier
2912
casebwsc_pho_002912
79-07-011
016\2912.JPG
http://heritage.sonomalibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15763coll11/id/2659
Subject
Black-and-white photographs
Agriculture, Rural Life and Fisheries
1849 Goldrush 1890s 1950s architecture buildings Downieville farm house Hessel
Downie, Major William, J
Time Period
1890 - 1899
Place
United States
California
Sonoma
Hessel
Hessel, California
38.348248,-122.777212
Relation
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Photographic Collection
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Collection GUIDE
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Collection

Explore related content on Calisphere: