Owned by Sonoma County Library. The Sonoma County Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images and can claim only physical ownership of the image(s) described in this records. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including, but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Sonoma County Library. Please see additional reproduction and reuse information at https://sonomalibrary.org/locations/sonoma-county-history-and-genealogy-library/order-photo .
The Di Grazia Motordrome, located just north of Russell Avenue in Santa Rosa, opened in July, 1939. The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa, Calif.) reported on July 29, 1939, that "Santa Rosa's new oval, the Di Grazia Motordrome, will open [on July 30 1939]...with an inaugural 100-mile Model "T" Ford race...The eight-foot banked oval will help keep accidents at a minimum...Construction of a 200-foot grandstand which will accommodate 3,000 fans is nearing completion on the grounds adjoining the airport on the Redwood highway. A special parking lot has been provided opposite the track on Russell Avenue." (The Press Democrat, 29 July 1939. P. 4, col. 5). The following day, the Press Democrat published the following: "Santa Rosa’s new $5,000 motordrome will be opened today with an inaugural 100-mile race for Model T Fords...The tracks, on the Di Grazia property a mile and one-half north of the city adjoining the airport, are overlooked by a newly built grandstand with a 3,000 person capacity. Additional accommodations will be available for today’s race fans...A starting field of 17 cars will go to the post for the inaugural, with possible entries to be filed later. . . The race tomorrow marks the start of a series of midget and motorcycle races. The oval, made from adobe land, is said to be lightning fast, dustless and well banked for turning. Parking space has been provided on the Russell avenue side of the new track." (Press Democrat, 30 July 30, 1939, Page 6.). In October 1941, the motordrome was renamed the Santa Rosa Speedway and operated through 1960, when construction of the new Highway 101 freeway forced the racetrack to close. GNIS Approximate geocoding 13 Don Meacham (May 30, 1916-Feb. 28, 2010) was born in Cowell, Contra Costa County in 1916. He lived most of his life in Sonoma County where he retired as freelance commercial photographer after 50 years in the profession. He worked as a photographer in the Navy during WWII; was the flagship photographer on the U.S.S. Augusta during the North African invasion; and was Chief Photographer of the Naval Air Station in Santa Rosa until the war ended. Meacham was a charter member and chairman of the Santa Rosa Civic Art Commission and was instrumental in establishing Arttrium, the county's first visual and performing arts festival. Low resolution master image (72ppi) RGB IrfanView