This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Photograph was edited for publication purposes Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions. Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, it is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. In 1999 is was added to the National Register of Historic Places-Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church. Photograph caption dated June 5, 1961 reads, "Fiestas drew crowds during the weekend at San Fernando Mission, top, where blessing of fruits and flowers opened week-long San Fernando celebration."; See images #00119813 through #00119815 for all photos in this series.
1 photographic print :b&w ;26 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
00119813 Valley Times Collection HCNVT_d023_f22_i3 CARL0005382732 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/52695
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Boys--California--Los Angeles Girls--California--Los Angeles Acolytes--California--Los Angeles Ceremonial objects--California--Los Angeles Crosses--California--Los Angeles Crucifixes--California--Los Angeles Costumes Fruit--California--Los Angeles Baskets--California--Los Angeles Trees--California--Los Angeles Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) Valley Times Collection photographs