This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Four imposing views of the California Governor’s Mansion at the intersection of 16th and H Streets in Sacramento, crowd this circa 1980s postcard. Designed by architect N. D. Goodell and built by contractor Uriah Reese in the mid 1870s as a residence for businessman Albert Gallatin and his family the structure was sold to the State of California in late 1902/1903 when the area was still blocks removed from a busy downtown Sacramento. Incorporating a variety of concepts and designs reflecting the tastes of the times the structure served as the residence of a dozen California governors from 1903 to 1967. Nine Republicans and two Democrats held the office during those years along with one Progressive, Earl Warren, who held the longest tenure from January 4, 1943 until October 5, 1953. The Warren’s had six children and a former balcony and later porch atop the 16th Street side of the house was remodeled into a bedroom during their stay. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his wife Eleanor stayed overnight at the three-story house as did Thomas E. Dewey and Adlai Stevenson. The mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and became part of the California State Park system in 1974.