Title supplied by cataloger.; Photograph was edited for publication purposes. The Los Angeles County Courthouse is located at 111 North Hill Street. The $24,000,000 building, designed to last approximately 250 years, is an imposing two-block-long structure. U.S. Chief Justice Warren broke ground for the building on March 26, 1954, and was again on hand October 31, 1958 when the edifice was dedicated. Italian marble covers most of the walls and the 850,000 square feet of floor space, along with more than 50,000 cubic yards of concrete. The structure is actually two buildings, with a 6-inch space between the east side, which will be used by the superior courts, and the west side, which will be devoted to the municipal courts. The municipal court side, with its foundations at a higher level, rises three stories above the more massive superior court end. The structure was designed by a corporation of associate architects: J.E. Stanton, Paul Williams, Adrian Wilson and Austin, Field & Fry. The County Courthouse opened on January 5, 1959. Photograph caption dated April 3, 1959 reads "And here's one of the patios on a covered terrace outside a municipal judge's chambers. The balconies jut out from the eighth floor level. Walls and ceilings are tiled in miniature mosaic squares. Garden furniture will aid judges in lolling, loafing or leafing through law books, presumably." An outdoor patio is shown, with two tables surrounded by lawn chairs. To the left is a view of several large buildings.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1958-) Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Balconies--California--Los Angeles Patios--California--Los Angeles Outdoor furniture--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Evening Herald Express photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Wilson, Adrian Williams, Paul R.,1894-1980 Stanton, J. E Austin, Field & Fry