Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library > Changing Face of Southern California > Los Angeles Civic Center

Image / Los Angeles Civic Center

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Los Angeles Civic Center
Creator
unknown
Date Created and/or Issued
circa 1950
Publication Information
Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, Loyola Marymount University
Western Publishing & Novelty Co
Contributing Institution
Loyola Marymount University, Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library
Collection
Changing Face of Southern California
Rights Information
Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Description
Looking west to City Hall, Federal Building, and Hall of Justice; immediately beyond driveway and cement wall, the red roof of Union Station is visible and just beyond that, the parking lot; streetlights; palm trees; downtown buildings; billboards.
The original City Hall building was located on Spring Street in an adobe structure that also housed the City Jail. A second City Hall was built on Broadway between 2nd and 3rd streets in 1888. The third and current City Hall, with its obelisk tower, is bounded by Temple, Main, First, and Spring, and was completed in 1928. At the time, the city had a height restriction of 12 stories, making the new 454 foot high, 32-story building the tallest in the city. At the peak is an airplane beacon named in honor of Lindbergh. The building material included sand from every county in California and water from all 21 California Missions. The Civic Center is bounded by Figueroa, San Pedro, First, and the Hollywood Freeway. One of the largest government complexes in the world, it includes the Federal Building, the Federal Post office, City Hall, County Hall of Justice, County Hall of Records, the Department of Water and Power, the Music Center Complex, and County Courts. Although plans for the Civic Center were underway as early as 1905, it wasn't completed until the 1950s. The Federal Building designed by G. Stanley Underwood is between Main, Temple and Spring Streets.
On back:"Los Angeles Civic Center as seen from Union Station, showing Health Department Building, City Hall, United States Post Office and Federal Building, and the Hall of Justice."
Publisher's serial number: 5C-K925; Series number: L.62
Type
image
Format
1 postcard : Color ; 9 x 14 cm.
Identifier
post_00120
http://digitalcollections.lmu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/chgface/id/621
Language
English
Subject
Roads--California--Los Angeles
Public buildings--California--Los Angeles
City halls--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles City Hall (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Union Passenger Terminal (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Source
Werner von Boltenstern Postcard Collection

Explore related content on Calisphere: