Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Photo of the Municipal Services Building on the corner of Orange Grove Avenue and 3rd St. taken September 24, 1965 from a parking lot across the street. According to the Los Angeles Times, the three-story, 46,400-sq. ft. space was designed by the architectural firm of A.C. Prescott, Raymond Walley, and Robert White at a cost of $650,000. The general contractor was Enco Construction Company. In the photo, a row of cars frames the foreground. Scaffolding on the building suggests the photo was taken just prior to the completion of construction. Built on the parking lot behind City Hall, the annex provided more space for expanding city agencies and served as headquarters for Planning, Building, Public Works, License and Purchasing, Finance, and Parks and Recreation. The Los Angeles Times called the three-story building “ultra-modern” with its glass-enclosed corridor (cco01509) connecting it to City Hall. City workers occupied the Municipal Services Building from 1966 until 2002 when, according to the Los Angeles Daily News, the City Council determined it should be replaced as it no longer met the public’s needs and had been damaged in the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. The Municipal Services Building was demolished in 2002 and the Community Services Building at 150 N 3rd St. was erected in its place in 2008. From notes on back of photo: “Picture taken Sept. 24-65 Municipal Services Building (Behind City Hall between Olive & Orange Grove).”
nonprojected graphic 8 x 10 b&w print
islandora:1476 local: cco01513
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)--Buildings--Architecture--Automobiles--Streets--Scaffolding--1960s