Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. Photograph shows the interior of the yet-unfinished library building. View is of the Rotunda area, which is being tiled with a marble floor. Two construction workers can be seen sitting next to the left wall, possibly taking a lunch break; the flooring material is scattered all around. Photograph dated: Circa 1925.
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 25 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Public Library Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Building construction--California--Los Angeles Marble in interior decoration--California--Los Angeles Construction workers--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Public libraries--California--Los Angeles Building sites--California--Los Angeles Rotundas--California--Los Angeles Winslow, Carleton M.,1919- Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)