Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Wilshire Theatre, Santa Monica

Image / Wilshire Theatre, Santa Monica

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Wilshire Theatre, Santa Monica
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection
Creator
Laskey, Anne
Date Created and/or Issued
1979
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
This collection is comprised of approximately 1,000 slides capturing buildings along Wilshire Boulevard. The slides were taken during Tuesday afternoon walks in 1978-1979 by Marlene Laskey and her 15-year-old daughter, Annie, who was the primary photographer. Marlene (1933-1989) was a Michigan native who moved to Los Angeles in the 1950s and became a Los Angeles historian and architecture enthusiast. At the time of her death from cancer, Marlene was working on a Master of Urban Planning degree at UCLA, and was an interviewer for UCLA's Oral History program.; Title supplied by cataloger; The highest resolution available for this image is 300 dpi.
Exterior and neon marquee of Wilshire Theatre, later NuWilshire Theatre, located at 1314 Wilshire Boulevard in Santa Monica; storefronts are seen on each side of the theater. On the side panels of the marquee, it is indicated that Midnight Express is screening in one theater and that the double-feature of The Bermuda Triangle and Beyond & Back is screening in the other. A party for senior citizens, sponsored by State Mutual Savings, is advertised on the main panel of the marquee. John M. Cooper designed this movie theater, which includes both Neoclassical and Art Deco architectural elements. When it opened in 1931 for stage and film productions, the theater had seating for 1,500 all in one auditorium, however two auditoriums were created in 1977 under the ownership of Mann Theatres. In the early 1990's, Landmark Theatres took over operations and changed its name to NuWilshire.
Type
Image
Format
1 slide :color ;5 x 5 cm.
Photographic color slides
Identifier
00090828
Marlene & Anne Laskey Wilshire Boulevard Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection
GPC_b16_f5_i88
CARL0005002590
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/121790
Subject
Wilshire Theatre (Santa Monica, Calif.)
Motion picture theaters--California--Santa Monica
Art deco (Architecture)--California--Santa Monica
Neoclassicism (Architecture)--California--Santa Monica
Storefronts--California--Santa Monica
Stores & shops--California--Santa Monica
Marquees--California--Santa Monica
Neon signs--California--Santa Monica
Streets--California--Santa Monica
Wilshire Boulevard (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Santa Monica (Calif.)
Los Angeles Photographers Collection photographs
Marlene Laskey/Wilshire Boulevard Collection photographs
Slides
Cooper, John M
Time Period
1971-1980

Explore related content on Calisphere: