Skip to main content

Image / Coliseum arched entrance, timer, scoreboard and bleachers

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Coliseum arched entrance, timer, scoreboard and bleachers
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
Circa 1937
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Exposition Park, originally named Agricultural Park, was developed in 1876 as a showground for agricultural and horticultural fairs. In the 1890s USC law professor William M. Bowen and USC President George Finley Bovard garnered the commitments of city, state, and county to develop the land as a public educational, cultural and recreational center to be designed by architects Hudson and Munsell. Architects John and Donald B. Parkinson designed the 1923 Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, located at 3911 S. Figueroa Street, as well as the expansion for the 1932 Olympic Games. In 1984, the Coliseum became the first stadium in the world to host the Olympic games twice. The stadium is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is California Historic Landmark #960
A long walkway rounds the bleachers in front of a of a 15 second/minute timer which sits on top of a score board next to the arched entrance of the Coliseum.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00098194
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-007-634 8x10
CARL0005081265
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/37839
Subject
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Stadiums--California--Los Angeles
Clocks and watches--California--Los Angeles
Scoreboards--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
University Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs
Parkinson & Parkinson

Explore related content on Calisphere: