Title supplied by cataloger. Located at 150 N. Los Angeles Street, the Police Administration Building served as the headquarters for the Los Angeles Police Dept. from 1955 to 2009. Designed by Welton Becket in association with J. E. Stanton and landscape architect Ralph D. Cornell, the 7-story, Modernist structure includes a horizontal slab with bands of windows on the long east and west sides, and glazed terra cotta panels on the short north and south sides. Horizontal 2-story wings extend out into the surrounding parking lots, defining an entrance plaza and a visual base for the building. The design of the entrance plaza and gardens was part of the Modern landscape architecture trend to unite indoor and outdoor space. After the sudden death of Police Chief William H. Parker on July 16, 1966, the building was renamed Parker Center.; In 2009, construction of the new LAPD Metropolitan Detention Center was completed replacing the older and outdated jail facility at Parker Center. Much of the landscaping that was part of the original design for Parker Center was removed to make room for the new 172,000 sq. ft. metro jail. View of the landscaping at Parker Center along Judge John Aiso Street looking southwest. The driveway to the jail is in the foreground.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 13 cm. Photographic prints
Parker Center (Los Angeles, Calif.) Police stations--California--Los Angeles International style (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles Architecture, Modern Urban landscape architecture--California--Los Angeles Office buildings--California--Los Angeles Trees--California--Los Angeles Landscape plants--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Automobiles--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Judge John Aiso Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) Heritage Documentation Programs Collection photographs Stanton, J. E Cornell, Ralph D Welton Becket and Associates Photography + Preservation Associates