Material in the public domain. No restrictions on use. For more information on copyright or permissions for this image, please contact the California Room: http://sjlibrary.org/research/special/ca/contacts_index.htm
View of San Jose City Hall shortly after construction was completed in 1889. The city hall stands in the center of Plaza Park, now known as Plaza de Cesar Chavez. The main entrance to City Hall is in the center of the building up the stairs. The view is looking south down Market Street toward San Carlos Street. Several horse drawn vehicles are visible in the street. The gold vehicle immediately to the left of city hall is a steam powered pump used in firefighting. This city hall was demolished in 1958. The site is now occupied by a large fountain.
image/jpeg2000 Scanned with Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner as a 600 dpi TIFF image and 16-bit RGB color. Compressed to JPEG format using Photoshop CS2.