Title supplied by cataloger. La Casa Alvarado was built in 1840 by Ygnacio Alvarado, who had received a deed to a small portion of land in the Rancho San Jose. The land belonged to his cousin, Ygnacio Palomares, and Alvarado built his adobe about 300 yards to the south and west from the Palomares' first home, "La Casa Primera". The only stipulation Palomares gave Alvarado was that he build a room large enough to accommodate religious services, and he did - an 18' x 42' sala (living room), which was used for this purpose for 45 years. In 1886, Dr. Benjamin S. Nichols purchased the property and he made additions to the original adobe. In 1951, the property was sold again, to Alphonse B. and Isabel Lopez Fages. At some point, the Fages' sold the adobe to its current owners, who have restored it beautifully. La Casa Alvarado was declared a Historic Landmark in 1954, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in April 4, 1978. Exterior view of La Casa Alvarado, located at 1459 Old Settlers Lane in Pomona. Photograph shows a portion of the adobe, half-hidden by large shrubs, with a low sweeping shake roof supported by slender wooden posts. The roof extends over a wide corridor, which runs along the entire length of the house. Several trees, shrubs, yuccas, and roses are visible in the garden.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. on board 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints