Title supplied by cataloger. Mission Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles (Church of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels), was founded on September 4, 1781 by a group of Spanish settlers. The church was considered an asistencia ("sub-mission") of Mission San Gabriel Arcangel. Priests from Mission San Gabriel divided their time between the mission and the Asistencia site, but ultimately the installation was never granted mission status and the missionaries eventually abandoned the site. The surrounding area was named El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles del Rio de Porciuncula (The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels on the River Porciuncula", which is the present-day City of Los Angeles). A chapel, La Iglesia de Nuestra Senora Reina de los Angeles, was later erected and dedicated on December 8, 1822, and for years served as the sole Roman Catholic church in the Pueblo. It is the oldest church in the city of Los Angeles and was designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #3 in 1962 and California Historic Landmark #144. La Plaza Church (center) on Main Street as seen from a fruit vending stand at La Plaza.
1 slide : color ; 5x5 cm. Photographic color slides
Plaza Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Catholic churches Church buildings Trees Palms Food vendors Fruit Automobiles Main Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Plaza (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)