Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Former Mayor Cristobal Aguilar signed Pershing Square into being in 1866. At the time, Pershing Square was called La Plaza Abaja ("The Lower Plaza"). However, it was renamed Pershing Square in 1918 in honor of General John J. Pershing. It is bounded by 5th, 6th, Hill and Olive streets. Architects Schultze & Weaver designed the Biltmore Hotel (now named Millennium Biltmore) in 1923. The 14-story E-shaped structure is of modified Italian Renaissance architecture and has 1,500 rooms. Millenium Biltmore is located at 506 South Grand Avenue. Visitors of Pershing Square sit and stand among rows of benches placed along one of the parks' cement pathways. The majestic Biltmore Hotel is partially obscured by the numerous trees and shrubs, but the three towers loom large in the background just across Olive Street, which runs along the western side of the park.; Photograph similar to #00011072.
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 19 cm. Photographic prints
00079540 Security Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Parks-Pershing Square. CARL0000081014 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112161
Millennium Biltmore Hotel (Los Angeles, Calif.) Buildings--California--Los Angeles Hotels--California--Los Angeles Trees--California--Los Angeles Parks--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Pershing Square (Los Angeles, Calif.) Schultze & Weaver