Skip to main content

Image / Mount Chapel Missionary Baptist Church cornerstone

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Mount Chapel Missionary Baptist Church cornerstone
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Allen, Jeff
Date Created and/or Issued
2005
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
The term "Missionary Baptist" originated in the early 1800's during the rise of the modern missions movement, which was a movement among Baptists (as well as other Christian denominations) to organize para-church institutions for the promotion and funding of evangelism, Bible and literature publication, schools, charitable and social work, and other religious causes. This movement created extensive controversy among Baptists, drawing harsh criticism from those who considered these new institutions subversive of traditional Baptist polity. Those who opposed the innovations became known as anti-missions, and those advocating them as missionary Baptists. Many of the "missionary Baptist" churches and associations eventually adopted the epithet "missionary" into their official names, and, what started as a descriptive term became a new religious denomination - Missionary Baptists. However, the name never became universally used among the advocates of the missionary institution.
Close-up view of the cornerstone of Mount Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, located at 1255 East 69th Street and Hooper Avenue. It reads, "Mt. Chapel M.B.C. in memory of Pastor Albert Wood who served from 1976 to 1994; Dea. C. McCormick, Chairman; Dea. R. Little, Trustee; Rev. E. D. Plump, Pastor; Rev. J. J. Collins, Founder; Dedicated June 27, 1999". Above the cornerstone, the bottom portion of a marquee with order of service and times listed is visible. Verso on photograph states that prior to becoming Mount Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, this was formerly known as Church of the Lord Jesus Italian. Photo dated: December 2005.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :col.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00071822
Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
GPC_b84_f3_i55
CARL0000075013
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/120873
Subject
Mount Chapel Missionary Baptist Church (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Baptist church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles Photographers Collection photographs
Jeff Allen Houses of Worship Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: