This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Marineland of the Pacific, designed by the firm Pereira & Luckman and located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, opened in 1954 and was the world's largest oceanarium of its time. Known for its performing Orcas, many considered it California's first major theme park, opening one year before Disneyland. In February 1987 the owners of SeaWorld, San Diego, purchased Marineland and moved all the animals to their San Diego facility, abruptly closing it six weeks after the sale was completed. Much of the infrastructure was left abandoned for 20 years; the 414-foot high tower remained standing until 1995, the Marineland Restaurant continued operating through 2004, and the remaining structures stood through 2006. In 2007 demolition of the remains of Marineland began, in preparation for the development of Terranea, a $450 million dollar resort. Photograph caption dated February 14, 1964 reads "Marineland, one of Southern California's tourist attractions, is enjoyed by visitors Mrs. Charles T. Lovering, left, New York, and Mrs. Lammot Copeland Jr., center, Wilmington, Del. Showing them the sights on their recent visit to the Valley is Mrs. Gene Cowles, wife of Valley Times executive editor. Mrs. Copeland is the wife of Valley Times owner and president of the Great Western Publishing Co. Inc. Mrs. Lovering is Mrs. Copeland's mother. One of the highlights of Marineland is the whale which jumps out of the water, setting off a device that takes your picture."
Cowles, Gene--Family Copeland, Lammot du Pont,--1932--Family Marineland of the Pacific (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) Animal trainers Men Women Audiences Whales Captive marine animals Public marine aquariums Palos Verdes Estates (Calif.)