Skip to main content

Image / Rancho Cienega de la Tijera adobe from the east end, ca.1924

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Rancho Cienega de la Tijera adobe from the east end, ca.1924
Date Created and/or Issued
circa 1924
Publication Information
University of Southern California. Libraries
Contributing Institution
University of Southern California Digital Library
Collection
California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960
Rights Information
Doheny Memorial Library, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0189
Public Domain. Release under the CC BY Attribution license--http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/--Credit both “University of Southern California. Libraries” and “California Historical Society” as the source. Digitally reproduced by the USC Digital Library; From the California Historical Society Collection at the University of Southern California
Send requests to address or e-mail given
USC Libraries Special Collections
specol@usc.edu
Description
Photograph of Rancho Cienega O'Paso de la Tijera (later 4201 Crenshaw Boulevard, Baldwin Hills) adobe home and other buildings owned by Tomas Sanchez, ca.1924. Viewed from the east end. Several ranch buildings of varying size are clustered near a dirt road in the foreground. An exterior wooden set of stairs leads up to the second floor of the tallest of the buildings. This building has a covered porch at right. A pick-up truck sits in front of it. A wagon is visible near the adobe ranch house at left. Some farm machinery is parked in a fenced in area between these two buildings. The license plate on the truck reads ..."26-950".
"Historic adobe of La Cienega ranch marked. -- The historic La Cienega O Paso de la Tijera, an adobe structure built in 1795 by Don Vincenta Sanchez, became officially recognized as one of the important historic spots of California yesterday when the history and landmarks committee of the California Parlor, Native Daughters of the Golden West, had placed thereon a bronze plaque on which was inscribed the history of the building. -- The structure stands at what is now 4201 Crenshaw Boulevard on the Sunset Fields golf grounds, and preceding the marking ceremony a breakfast was served at the clubhouse with Mrs. Ralph Loyd Tuttle as toastmistress. -- Mrs. Ysabell Dexter Monroe, chairman of the history and landmarks committee
Mrs. Erma Laird, grand president of the California parlor, and Mrs. Alfred R. Sitton, president of the California parlor, assisted at the marking ceremony." -- Los Angeles Times (1934 February 17).
Type
image
Format
2 photographs : photoprints, b&w
8 x 10 in.
photographic prints
photographs
Identifier
chs-m2094
USC-1-1-1-2154 [Legacy record ID]
CHS-2965
http://doi.org/10.25549/chs-m2094
http://thumbnails.digitallibrary.usc.edu/CHS-2965.jpg
Subject
Adobe houses
Ranches
Los Angeles--Baldwin Hills
Sanchez, Tomas
Rancho Cieniga de la Tijera Adobe
Adobes
Mexican life
Southern California Adobes
Housing areas
Time Period
circa 1924
Place
4201 Crenshaw Boulevard
Baldwin Hills
Los Angeles
California
USA
Source
1-33- [Microfiche number]
2965 [Accession number]
CHS-2965 [Call number]
California Historical Society [Contributing entity]
Relation
California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960
Title Insurance and Trust, and C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960
USC
chs-m265

Explore related content on Calisphere: